Sunday, September 23, 2012

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming is what makes life

Weekend Roundup:

Calorie Summary

Saturday Net calories consumed: 2123 Cal (689 calories over limit)
Sunday Net calories consumed:  1230 Cal (230 calories under limit)

Exercise Summary
I went WAY over my calorie budget on Saturday.  My brother came home from the Camino de Santiago and my family and I went out to celebrate his birthday.  There was just too much delciousness surrounding me and I could not hold myself back.  Afterwards, I thought to myself, "Was it worth it?"  Eating at my friend's wedding in San Diego was worth it but this gorge fest was not.  I don't know why I did it.  Actually, I was full after the first course, and there were 5 courses!  I felt like if I stopped right when I was full, I would've totally missed out.   I think I was suffering from a fear of lack so I went insane. When I was eating extraneously, I was wondering about whether I was making wise choices.  Looking back, the answer is no.  Here are some things I could've done to not go crazy:
  • take a breather during the meal.  This would've helped me to calm down, re-evaluate the situation, and shore up my will-power muscle.  Maybe a 5 minute breather with the option to be kind to myself and let myself continue to eat if I decide that's what I want to do at the end of 5 minutes
  • think about my long term goal.  I gained 1.5 pounds as a result of dinner.  There were some dishes during last night's meal that were amazing and that I eat maybe once every 2 or 3 years.  Still, if I were to compare the pleasure I got from eating to the joy I would've felt if I lost weight this week, I would've preferred joy over pleasure. I just wasn't thinking long term while in the situation
Celebratory meals, family style meals, or joyous eating occasions are a diet challenge.  Hopefully next time, I'll be able to overcome this challenge.

On Sunday, I was able to keep my eating under control.  I was aided by the fact that there wasn't a lot of food around the house.  I was debating the whole day whether to exercise.  It almost seems like if the exercise is going to involve uncomfortable exertion,  I am going to dread it the whole day.  I ended up deciding that I needed to the 100 pushup challenge because I had already taken a break from it for a few days.  The last time I did week 4 day 3, it was a struggle.  This time, I kept on imagining Lisa from Bodyrock standing next to me saying, "Keep on going, don't stop!" or "OK.  Rest for a few seconds, but don't stop!"  It was actually quite motivating and helped me to keep on doing pushups without stopping.  Lisa usually scares me and I find her workout videos to be more intense than I can handle. But, she came in handy, or, I may be reaching a new level of fitness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment